AUTUMN? MORE LIKE AUSUMN, AMIRITE?!

Monday 9 November 2015
How's that title for a pun, huh? I've been trying to think of a title for ages and that was the best I could come up with so for that I do apologise, I admit that it's not my best work.


Anyway, allow me to preface this post with a little bit of contextual information. For most of my life I've said that summer is my favourite season. After all, it's got my birthday/no school/warm weather etc., but somehow over the past few years this title has slowly shifted to autumn. 'Why?' I hear some of you ask. My dear friends, I am about to tell you exactly why. Enough with the dilly-dallying, let's get to it. I present to you: A Celebration of All Things Autumn (and the very beginnings of winter, but not The Deep Dark Depths of Winter, because that feels like a frozen hell on Earth and none of these points apply at that stage because I am verging on hypothermia). (I'm just saying 'autumn' for now because it's slightly catchier.)


1. Leaves the colour of a burning sunset that crunch when you walk on them.

2. Scents. Flavours. Every single one of them. Cinnamon and caramel and pumpkin and apples and bonfires and vanilla. (...To name but a few.)


3. Being allowed to listen to those Halloween playlists I prepare every year. (Also, Christmas playlists, because we all know that the Christmas season starts right after Halloween, which I believe still counts as autumn.)

4. Knitwear. I'm mostly talking scarves and big jumpers. Knitwear is often not wildly flattering but oh my, so warm, so comfy.

5. Burgundy and maroon and oxblood everything. These colours speak to me on some kind of profound level, and what's more? They seem to be on trend every year, which is great. (Hey, remember when mustard yellow was a massive trend one autumn/winter? That was a rough year for me.)

6. Pumpkin Spice Lattes, followed by whatever funky winter drinks Starbucks decides to do (in the red cups, obviously). Y'know what? Scratch that; all hot drinks in general, actually. They taste better in the autumn, it's scientific fact.

7. Bonfire Night in the UK. So many fireworks and sparklers and so much bonfire smell. Mmm.


8. Mornings of bright blue skies and crisp air, juxtaposed by...

9. Colder, rainy days where it is now more than acceptable (in fact, it's encouraged) to snuggle up in your bed during the day with a hot drink (see #6 perhaps?) while watching TV on your laptop.

10. Boots. Ankle boots, heeled boots, over-the-knee boots, suede boots, leather boots...all of them, often with thick socks underneath, they're just a dream come true. You know what they say: 'tis the season to have both snuggly and stylish feet.

11. Dark lipsticks. Need I say more? (I'm looking at you, Rimmel 107.)

12. More outfit choices. During the summer there always seems to come a point for me where I am just wearing as little clothing as socially acceptable to avoid the almost inevitable demise-by-melting. When the temperature drops a few degrees I find I have far more clothing options, and this pleases me immensely.


13. Y'know what else I truly relish during these colder months? Not sticking to every single leather surface I sit upon. Thank you.

14. TV show premieres. Quite a few of the shows I watch came back within the past few weeks and damn, life's been pretty good, let me tell you.

15. CHRISTMAS PREP. I feel like this is kind of a sell-out point to end on, what with the fact that Christmas is quite definitively in the winter*, but just bear with me for a moment. When Halloween ends it marks the start of the Christmas season, which, for me, features many things. Such things include (but are not limited to): Christmas songs playing constantly, lots of twinkly lights, Advent calendars, mince pies, gift-making, market-going and mulled-wine-drinking.

*obvs I'm talking about the Northern Hemisphere here. Summertime Christmas still baffles me as a concept. It's been twenty years and I still don't know how I feel about it.


Tah-dah! There you have it, a celebration of autumn and lil' bit of winter. Let me know what kinds of things you love (or hate, even) about this time of year, I'd love to hear it.

See you next time!

Georgia

No comments:

Post a Comment