SOUNDS GOOD FEELS GOOD REVIEW.

Tuesday 27 October 2015

Nervous. Scared. Excited. Worried. What does this amalgamation of emotions mean? Why, a new 5SOS album of course. On the 23rd October 5 Seconds of Summer released their sophomore album Sounds Good Feels Good. Anyone who knows me on the Internet/in real life is probably aware that I’m a huge 5SOS fan, which means that I am simultaneously their best and worst critic. Over time I’ve seen them improve and I’ve seen them make some questionable musical decisions, and I feel like I am in good standing to review their new record. On that note, let me get started.

1. Money - self-proclaimedly a song with "dumb lyrics", Money is, pure and simple, a massive arena jam - it's high power energy, wild instruments and lyric-chanting. I also like to think of it as an ode to the band, from me, with the lyric “take my money” resonating with the hundreds of pounds I must have spent on them in total over the years.

2. She's Kinda Hot - I find it hard to review a song that's been out for a few months already, but here I go. I remember when I first listened to this I fell in love – I really dig the weird kind of Western-riff-meets-electric-guitars thing it’s got going on. I cannot wait to scream the final chorus of “they say we’re losers and we’re alright with that” when they sing it on tour. Is it weird that it gives me goosebumps imagining it?

3. Hey Everybody! – at first I didn’t really like this. One thing I’m stuck on with artists is the notion of authenticity. For me, singing a song about not having enough money to pay rent etc. when I know they don’t even pay rent felt a little artificial, notably because for me, that is a very real and difficult problem I am constantly faced with. Over time, however, I’ve realised that if I just take the song for what it is melodically, it is a huge jam. I know it’s gonna be a fun one performed live, especially right after that moment of silence towards the end that leads to a CRASH of sound and energy.

4. Permanent Vacation Permanent Vacation is cool as a polished studio version but I’d say it is a unanimous agreement that the live version is just on another level. This song quickly developed into one of my favourites during the last tour – I loved the crowd participation and how rocky it sounded. Nonetheless, the studio version is still fun to sing along to, and it’s nice to be able to hear the drums in the breakdown.

5. Jet Black Heart – I am obsessed with the lyrics in this song. They’ve managed to use some beautiful dark imagery and I think they're potentially the best, most poetic lyrics on the album. It’s one of the slower songs and I’ve found it really showcases some of their best vocals.

6. Catch Fire – I didn’t know Zayn Malik featured on this album? …(No, but really, Luke sounds so Zayn in the beginning of this song, I can’t unhear it). I was unsure about this song at first, as the most poppy of the whole album, but this is another one that’s grown on me immensely. It really gives me The Heart Never Lies by McFly vibes, and that song makes me happy and emo all at once. I love the all-singing-together aspect of the chorus, I think it really ties it together nicely.

7. Safety Pin – the lyrics of this remind me of All Time Low, which in my opinion cannot be a bad thing. It’s another of the more poppy songs of the album and I can just tell it’s just going to be another fun one on tour, if they choose to sing it. It features a rare Ashton verse - usually if he has a solo he comes in at the end but in this song he sings the second verse, so that's pretty cool because it means we get to hear some of his awesome vocals.

8. Waste the Night – I didn’t really like this at first because it’s just not a normal 5SOS kind of song and I think that threw me off, but I’ve come to realise how interesting it is. The breakdown is super cool when all the guitars come in, and the drums are insanely good throughout. I think the kind of droning, brooding, repetitive nature of the chorus is so cool and almost cinematic. I wonder how it will translate if they perform it live, particularly the verses, but I'm excited to find out. On another note, this song features the first of a few interludes on the album, which is a nice touch.

9. Vapor – I reckon this is going to rapidly become a fan favourite as it’s got some really cool lyrics. It seems to follow on from Waste the Night sonically, as if it’s a sister song. In the notes I wrote during my first listen I wrote “damn that’s some good mid-tempo moodiness” and I think that’s a pretty apt description of the song as a whole.

10. Castaway – it was at this point in the listening process that I realised that this is not a happy album, but it was also at this time where I thought to myself “this song is what I came here for”. Castaway is angry and a bit sad and it gets me pumped and I LOVE IT. The lyrics are top-notch and the melody is catchy enough to sing along to but different enough to feel fresh. I am in LOVE with that slow-burning-just-guitar-and-Luke’s-vocals bit towards the end; it makes my heart hurt.

11. The Girl Who Cried Wolf – after Jet Black Heart this is one of the other emo songs on the record. It features acoustic guitars and a lot of muted cymbal crashes which just add to this lovely ballad. I say ‘lovely’ in terms of sound, I mean, lyrically it’s not lovely, it’s SAD. Michael’s husky, desperate repetition of “is anyone there at all” reminds me of Wrapped Around Your Finger, which likewise is another emo mess. Man I do love me a bit of dark, passionate 5SOS; I often find that’s where Michael especially shines.

12. Broken Home – this is the first song on the album accompanied by the London Symphony Orchestra and the effect this brings is nothing short of mesmerising. I’m glad the lyrics do justice to the melody. There are some horribly vivid lines “she’s the scar, she’s the bruises, she’s the pain that you brought” / “sharp words like knives they were cutting her down” but personally, the simplicity of “hey mum, hey dad” in the chorus is what gets me the most. I can’t relate to the song in my own life but I fully appreciate how beautiful it is.

13. Fly Away – 5SOS made the decision to insert Fly Away between two of the most upsetting songs they’ve ever written, which I'd say was a wise choice on their part. After the previous two songs the album gets pretty negative, so Fly Away is a nice change. It’s up-tempo and significantly more positive and hopeful and focuses on the “let’s get out of this town” idea that they did so well on their debut album.

14. Invisible ­– just when you thought you were going to be happy again, 5SOS hand you the emotional ballad that is Invisible. First off, let’s start by affirming that this here is Calum’s song, and he owns it. It sounds magnificent with the London Symphony Orchestra, and when all the strings come in at the end it is really quite breathtaking. Don’t expect to feel uplifted or in any way happy when listening to Invisible because those are not emotions it can offer you. Instead, it can provide “upset”, “horrified” and my personal favourite: “I want my MUM”.

15. Airplanes – it’s okay guys, we are now out of the depths of despair with Airplanes. There’s a line in this song that perfectly embodies how I feel about it, which is “make-believe worlds make us all feel alive”. There is never a time that I feel more alive than when I’m at a concert in what feels like a parallel universe, singing words from my favourite songs alongside my friends and our favourite bands. I have so much to say about Airplanes but I’ll try to keep it concise. This song has some of my favourite lyrics of the whole album, if not some of my favourites that the band has ever written. To me it feels uplifting and cinematic and passionately hopeful, almost to the point where it’s angry. Airplanes is ambitious and optimistic and the kind of song I value more than any other. I find with this type of track I get this wonderful feeling in my chest where I’m just so HYPED for life (from 5SOS I previously got this from Never Be, but I also feel like this when I listen to Another Night on Mars by The Maine). This song is fantastically explosive and I am approximately 97% sure I too will explode when I hear it performed live.

16. San Francisco – here we have yet another non-classic 5SOS song. It’s got a chant-y/march-y indie-rock-style Mumford & Sons vibe (which is pretty unexpected from 5SOS) but somehow it works. I love the stomping in the chorus and I think it’ll sound really nice on tour with everyone singing along. In my notes I wrote “okay it’s good but WHY is it ‘you don’t gotta say anything’ in the chorus???” Ignoring the grammar police inside me telling me these lyrics are just not okay, I really like this song. Oh, and it has another cool interlude, so listen to that.

17. Outer Space / Carry On – we have come to the end of the album, but alas! There is a twist – the final track is actually two songs merged into one, and the final installment is a masterpiece. We’re first presented with Outer Space, and at the beginning the beat reminds me of a more advanced Never Be (which I mentioned earlier). It’s really cool how it features lyrics about castaways/the ocean/London/the weather – all images and motifs that featured in the preceding songs. I don’t think I have ever been so excited to hear a song live as this one. When everyone chants “the darkest night never felt so bright with you by my side” I am going to either pee or combust - I can’t tell which one. Layered on top of this are Ashton’s super high-pitched vocals (as in, impossible-to-emulate, Bohemian-Rhapsody-style) and it really just adds to how cool it all sounds. At the end of the song we hear the calming sounds of the ocean, soon to be interrupted by the glory that is Carry On. When everyone sings “carry on, let the good times roll” together I get CHILLS. The vocals merge with the sound of the organ and it all just sounds - for want of a better analogy - like a heavenly choir. If I said Airplanes was uplifting earlier, then Carry On is way, way up in the clouds. It’s ethereal and mesmerising and a really inspiring way to end the album.

Favourite song(s): Castaway / Airplanes / Outer Space / Carry On
Favourite lyric(s): “We’re alright though.” (She’s Kinda Hot) // "Nothing left but picture frames." (Castaway) // "Sharp words like knives, they were cutting her down.” (Broken Home) // “I was already missing before the night I left.” (Invisible) // “I won’t fade into darkness.” (Airplanes) // “Even mountains crumble into the sea.” (San Francisco) // “Carry on, let the good times roll.” (Outer Space / Carry On)
(…I realise that was a lot of lyrics. Sorry.)
Overall rating: 7/10

The track-by-track review was supposed to be succinct but, well…it wasn’t. Who’s surprised? Not me. I’m going to talk a little bit about the album more generally now, and it’s probably going to be similarly long-winded, so once more I apologise.

Upon my first full listen I was perplexed. I don’t know what I was expecting but I don’t think it was this. I was expecting it to be a bit different sonically; more guitar-heavy and gritty than it ended up being, especially after having heard She’s Kinda Hot and Permanent Vacation. I know I was not alone in this assumption, and that’s partly what is so cool about the album and the band themselves. Yet again, 5SOS do not conform to the standards and ideas thrust upon them. Since their first release they have been confusing people – are they rock? Are they pop? Pop-rock? Pop-punk? Why don’t they fit perfectly into a box or a genre? That’s the thing about 5SOS. They refuse to fit into a box, and not because they’re being intentionally contrary or belligerent, but because the reality is they just don’t care. They don’t try to fit into a single mould, and I don’t think they would ever want to. Regardless of what you think of their music, you cannot deny that this kind of attitude is refreshing.

Something I was incredibly struck by when listening was the fact that this is not a happy album at all, and I think perhaps that is what took me so aback when I first heard it. It’s got a few up-tempo melodies, but you find that many of them are juxtaposed with some incredibly painful and disquieting lyrics. With the exception of a small number of songs, this record focuses on the darkness of life – feeling lonely, desperate, unloved. Overall, the very fact that thematically SGFG is so different to their debut was a leap and a risk but I’d love to see it pay off in the charts.

On a more general note, it likewise is impossible not to notice that some of their new lyrics are really really good. Their self-titled debut was written when the guys were 15-17 and hadn’t experienced a heck of a lot. By now, their lyrics tell stories of deep isolation and heartbreak and love, and there are a few moments where it feels like pure poetry. Okay, that was gross and I wish I wasn’t so corny in my compliments, but if you listen carefully to the words you’ll hear what I mean.

Another particularly striking characteristic to consider is that the guys have really stepped up their instrumental game. I’m not musically inclined - I’ve never played an instrument, I’ve never even had a singing lesson – but even I can hear how insanely good Ashton’s drumming is. I can hear such precision and mastery in the beats and that’s one of the standout aspects of the record for me.

This new sound they've presented is perhaps now known for its iconic line “we are the kings and the queens of the new broken scene” which is a far cry from their previous tagline of “you look so perfect standing there in my American Apparel underwear”. The entire feel of the album is more mature and complex. Upon each listen I find new lyrics, sounds and melodies, and I love this intricate layering they’ve used in the production.   

While they are still relatively new to the music scene, and their sound is distinctly different to that of their debut album, Sounds Good Feels Good is still indisputably, intricately and ineffably 5 Seconds of Summer. This new album was not as we expected, but you know what? I truly hope they never stop surprising me.

See you next time!

Georgia

No comments:

Post a Comment