MONTHLY FAVOURITES: JULY 2015.

Sunday 2 August 2015
Hey there, I'm back with another favourites post, and only few days later than I'd intended. Okay then, let's get right to it!




TV Show:
Orphan Black.
ORPHAN BLACK IS INCREDIBLE. I watched all three seasons this month and it was time so wonderfully well-spent. It's a sci-fi drama by description, but don't be put off by the genre, there aren't any aliens or anything like that (yet). The acting is great, the storylines are great, everything is great. I'd write more but I've actually got a blog post about it in the works so I don't want to say too much here. Watch this space, I guess.

Music:
She's Kinda Hot (5 Seconds of Summer).
I like 5SOS, have I mentioned that? The foursome released a single semi-out-of-the-blue, and contrary to what you might think upon seeing its title, it's a really awesome song. It's still definitely a 5SOS song, but is significantly different to its predecessors, bringing with it a cooler, rockier vibe (one that was touched upon in the full album but not really showcased in the singles they chose to release). It's a bit cheeky, it's not another helpless I-can't-get-the-girl number, and it's unexpectedly uplifting in a kind of self-deprecating way (self-deprecation is, after all, something 5SOS do very well - watch any interview of theirs). Most importantly, perhaps, it's an obvious step up from their debut album, which is such a cool thing to witness. If you haven't listened to it yet I highly recommend you check it out, you may be surprised.

Makeup/Beauty:
Rimmel Kate Moss Lasting Finish 08.
I've been looking for a nude-y lipstick for ages but didn't want to actually buy a lipstick that barely had a colour to it (seems a little bit pointless buying something that looks like it's not even there on your lips) and I happened to stumble upon the colour 08 in a Boots a week or so ago. I contemplated buying an actual nude lipstick from the new nude collection but decided 08 would be better for me, and I wasn't disappointed. I now understand the phrase "your lips but better". Hallelujah!

Fashion:
Glasses.
As someone with pretty bad vision, glasses or contacts are a constant for me (unless I want to run the risk of tripping over things, walking into cars I can't see, etc.). For the past few years I've switched over to wearing contacts more often than my glasses, largely because I've never really liked any of my glasses enough to wear them as 'part of my outfit'. This might seem a bit silly but hey, I pay careful attention to everything else I wear, my eyewear is no different! This month, however, I got some new speczzz and I'm a big fan of them! I've been wearing my glasses out and about a lot more, which is good for the health of my poor little eyes (not that little, actually) (I have massive eyes).

Quote/Lyric:
"You will never be completely at home again, because part of your heart will always be elsewhere. That is the price you pay for the richness of loving and knowing people in more than one place." - I don't know exactly what it is about this that I like so much, but it sums up pretty well how I feel, having spent half of my life in Essex, moving to and from Switzerland a few times, and then making my own home in London. I feel that, while my ancestry is wholly British, my 'Englishness' has diluted over time after having grown up in another country and having made friends across the world. I'm perfectly happy knowing I'll never feel 100% at home again wherever I am because I know I've had some wonderful experiences and made amazing friends in multiple places. It's hard to explain to someone who's only ever lived in their country of origin (which I know is a totally normal thing - this isn't a superiority complex I'm feeding right now) exactly how altered you become after experiencing life away from your original home.

Miscellaneous:
Lauren's graduation photos.
My older sister graduated from uni a few weeks ago (she graduated with first-class honours from the University of Surrey, if you're wondering) and our whole family came to the ceremony. I happened to be working at the uni so I didn't have to walk very far (read: three minutes). At the start of the day we had some professional photos taken and they were super posed and really not very Stone-like, so later on we set a camera up on a tripod and used a remote control and took some family pictures that far better captured the Essence of Stoneness.

I didn't have a favourite film this month because ~SHOCKINGLY~ I didn't seem to watch any in July! Two days ago I flew home to Switzerland, and I'm staying here for about four weeks, until I move to Paris in early September. I'm definitely going to be making the most of home-cooked meals and having food in the fridge.

See you next time!

Georgia

No comments:

Post a Comment