A LITTLE LOOK AT ORPHAN BLACK.

Saturday 8 August 2015

Over the past couple of weeks I've become nigh on addicted to Orphan Black. For anyone unfamiliar with the programme, it's a sci-fi drama about human cloning. Let's get this straight: usually, as soon as I see "genre: sci-fi" I tend to be a little put off, but I decided to push through (especially as my last Great TV Show Find was also a sci-fi) (hi there check out this post if you want to know what I'm talking about) and I'm so glad I did. If you're hoping for aliens and intergalactic adventures this isn't the show for that, but I wholeheartedly recommend you give it a shot anyway.


Orphan Black looks deeply at the implications of human cloning - issues regarding inheritance of disease, malfunctions, infertility, economic viability, ethical concerns, patenting the genetic sequences etc. The science-y aspect is developed in great depth, and facts, statistics and scientific jargon make what is fictional seem real, as if it truly is possible to clone humans. A huge scientific/psychological theory in the show is the idea of nature vs. nurture. As exact replicas of each other, the clones are the most perfect subjects to explore the nature/nurture idea, and though it's all fictional, it nonetheless brings some interesting questions and ideas to mind.

A super interesting paradox that Orphan Black brings to attention is the boundary between morality and ethics. While normally the two words are 95% interchangeable, their very slight distinction is important in the show. You can feel there is some kind of difference between the two. Some characters are moral but partake in unethical behaviours, and others are the complete opposite, and it allows viewers themselves to consider what is right and what is wrong. The series forces its audiences to question the ethicality of cloning and other scientific breakthroughs, and makes the viewers wonder when exactly is "too far" - or if that point even exists. In fact, most of the show's best storylines are those where there is a conflict of larger ideas, whether that is between science and ethics, morality and family love (i.e. doing whatever it takes to keep your family safe), or combinations of all four.

Of course, the true star of the show, the crux of the reason it's so good, is Tatiana Maslany. While the actual concept of an actor playing different characters is totally normal (embodying different characters in different projects is the premise of being an actor), seeing an actor completely master the individual characterisation of multiple roles in the same programme, and often in the same scene, is truly incredible. Yeah, okay, we've seen it a few times before, like with Nina Dobrev in Vampire Diaries, but Tatiana Maslany truly is something else. She successfully makes each character she plays completely distinct from the next, transforming them by adapting the accent, specific behavioural tics, even such intricate details as the way they move or laugh. Maslany not only plays multiple clones, but also plays clones impersonating other clones, and somehow viewers STILL KNOW who is who, which is so very impressive. Some of the most awesome and shocking moments for me have been when the clones have been impersonating one of the others and the viewer is abruptly made aware of the fact it's not who they think. For example, the first time it happens (I think this particular moment was within the first few episodes of season one) Helena is pretending to be Sarah, but this fact is completely unbeknown to the viewer. When suddenly a Ukrainian accent slips out, of "Sarah's" mouth I genuinely was TERRIFIED, it was so very disconcerting to realise that what I had thought I was seeing was totally wrong. Does that even make sense? I don't think so, but you might get the gist.

One last thing I want to mention is that the show is unexpectedly funny - I frequently laugh out loud at my screen. These short bursts of humour every so often detract slightly from the super intense, momentum-building of the rest of the episodes, providing a few moments of relief and never letting an episode get too dark.

Favourite episode:
Episode 6, season 3:
The episode is fast-paced and exciting. A bunch of different storylines working together, things slowly being tied up while more intriguing questions are asked etc. Some highlights are: Allison and Donny twerking, Felix trying to be as bad(ass) as his sister but cracking under the pressure, THAT important character death (Helena's scorpion) (spoiler alert),  oh and I guess THE ENTIRETY OF THE FINAL FEW MINUTES.

Some honorary mentions to:
- Felix, just for being Felix. He makes me laugh almost every time he's on screen, which is never a bad thing. Plus, his faux English accent is one of the best I've ever heard.
- Kira. I'd like to mention what a smart kid Kira is (whether that's actually believable for an eight-year-old to be so observant/selfless/intelligent is another question entirely, but I like her character anyway). What a good little actress the girl who plays her is! (Note: She's called Skyler Wexler and she is EIGHT. What a cutie.)
- Delphine's hair in season three. So luscious, so perfect.
- Hot Paul. Shoutout to you, Hot Paul. I can't quite tell what side he's on yet, or if he's on a side at all, but he's always wearing either a well-tailored suit or a military uniform, so that's fine with me.
(Edit: I've finished the third season. I now know what side he's on. Ah.)

I really didn't know what to expect when I started watching Orphan Black but it got me hooked almost instantly, and I am confident it would have the same effect on others, so hey, try watching this show. This post was by no means cohesive, so for that I apologise, I just had SO MANY THINGS TO SAY. Perhaps I'll come back to this at some point and edit, but for now this'll have to do. Season four, I NEED YOU. I can't be dealing with this wait.

See you next time!

Georgia

No comments:

Post a Comment