EGGCELLENT.

Saturday 7 February 2015
Back again with a little blog update for you! A bl-egg update? Nah that was atrocious, sorry.

I recently posted a photo on Instagram of some poached eggs I made and weirdly, a few of my friends messaged me with comments about eggs. (Conversations between kids these days are absolutely wild, aren't they?) I eat a lot of eggs largely because I'm too poor to be the carnivore I so desperately desire to be, and so have to get my protein cheaply from elsewhere. While they're not sticky barbecue ribs or roasted lamb, eggs are pretty great anyway, and very versatile. I often make poached eggs because they're not only simple but healthy too. 


My eggs don't look as super clean and smooth as you see in cafés and restaurants but they still look pretty good. You can get rid of the thinner/stringy parts of the egg whites if you want but as I'm the laziest/hungriest person known to man I just leave them and eat them anyway. (Plus, does presentation really matter when it's going to go straight from the plate to your stomach? No, my friends, not particularly.)


My friend Ash told me that her poached eggs never go well, and so for her and for anyone else who has trouble with something that looks a lil' fancy but is actually pretty darn easy, here I enclose my foolproof method for poaching eggs.

Note: if you've heard of a mysterious whirlpool step in making poached eggs, forget about it, there's no freaky vortex-making in this method. I've tried making vortexes before but really, who decided swirling boiling water around at high speeds was a good idea?

1. Boil the water in your kettle, it'll make the process quicker, unless you're American and don't have a kettle. (Why do 95% of the Americans I know not own a kettle? You may be Land of the Free but is it truly freedom when you are not free to boil water in like...fifty seconds? This is all irrelevant though because horrifyingly enough, you make your tea in a freakin' MICROWAVE. Heathens.) (Vexed about tea? Where did this anger come fro- ah yes, Boston, 1773. Let's not talk about it.)
**I love America also Americans just FYI.

Where was I? Oh yes, the kettle. Fill it about halfway, maybe slightly lower. (General tip to save energy if you're into that whole saving-the-planet stuff is to only ever boil the specific amount of water you need, not to fill up your kettle all the way.)

2. Pour about an inch or two of water into the pan. (I dip a knife into the water to check the level.)

3. Bring the temperature of the water up so it's beginning to bubble (slightly more than a simmer, but less than a crazy bubbling boil).

4. Crack your egg(s) one at a time into a mug/cup/bowl (making sure you keep your yolk(s) intact) and pour (each one) smoothly but quickly into the pan.

5. Turn the heat right down to the lowest setting and cover the pan.

6. Set your timer for 3 minutes. (This'll make eggs with quite a runny yolk, if you want a harder yolk I'd increase the time by 30-second increments but not let it cook for more than 4 minutes overall.)

7. Use your 3 minutes wisely. If you want to dance a little bit, I have enclosed a short list of some of my favourite songs that would fit into this time frame.
New Politics - Harlem (2:45)
5 Seconds of Summer - Rejects (2:50)
Cage The Elephant - Ain't No Rest for the Wicked (2:55)
All Time Low - Do You Want Me (Dead?) (2:45)
Jonas Brothers - Burnin' Up (2:55)

8. After 3 minutes, use a slotted spoon / two forks + very good hand-eye coordination + a keen urge for danger / special poached egg utensil to scoop up the egg(s).

9. Do whatever you wish with your poached egg(s). Personally, I tend to have them on buttered toast and season them with salt and pepper, but if I'm feeling fancy I'll add avocado, spinach and a squeeze of lemon juice too. How very snazzy.

10. There's no step number 10 but I felt I needed to round off the recipe on a nice number.

Here are some sick photos I took of my eggs, Aimee told me they were pretty.

You are now a professional egg-poacher; tell everyone you know and make them really jealous.

See you next time!

Georgia

No comments:

Post a Comment