A-Z.

Sunday 15 February 2015

I love words. I mentioned that in my first post, didn't I? I love learning new words to use in essays or arguments or just everyday speech. I know a lot of funky words and over the past few months I've been writing some of my favourites in a note on my phone. Some I like because of the way they sound or because I like what they mean or just because they make me sound more intelligent (and I dig that).


On a related note, my older brother has taken to sending us videos on our family group chat of him rapping 'Alphabet Aerobics' by Blackalicious (he's finally learnt all the words, which is actually quite impressive). His commitment to the cause was definitely admirable, though I'm not entirely sure a rap career is around the corner for him. (Note: I am completely, utterly, entirely sure a rap career is not around the corner for him.) My brother shared his A-Z rap, thus today I feel it is time I share with you my A-Z list of 26 of my favourite words of the English language:

(N.B.: I defined most of the words myself but gave you the official definition for a few of them.)

  • Abhorrent:
[adj] // incredibly disgusting/loathsome.

  • Besmirch:
[verb] // to damage someone's reputation.

  • Circumlocution:
[noun] // the use of many words where fewer would do (especially when trying to be vague or evasive).

  • Dissident:
[noun] // basically a rebel - someone who challenges an established institution (can also be used as an adjective).

  • Ephemeral:
[adj] // being very short-lived or temporary.

  • Fastidious:
[adj] // being very attentive to accuracy or detail.

  • Gruntled:
[adj] // pleased or satisfied. (The opposite of disgruntled!)

  • Hubris:
[noun] // extreme/excessive pride in oneself.

  • Iridescent:
[adj] // the quality of a material/substance of showing many different colours, especially when viewed from different angles.

  • Jocular:
[adj] // kind of a combination of funny, playful and entertaining.

  • Kaleidoscope:
[noun] // a continually changing pattern of shapes and colours.

  • Lycanthropy:
[noun] // the belief that one is a wolf.

  • Malevolent:
[adj] // wishing evil or harm upon others.

  • Nominal:
[adj] // of or relating to names or nouns.

  • Opulent:
[adj] // lavish, lush, wealthy.

  • Plethora:
[noun] // a large amount or wide range of something.

  • Quintessential:
[adj] // being the most perfect example of something, completely representative.

  • Relegate:
[verb] // to assign a lower position/rank to someone.

  • Symbiotic:
[adj] // when two organisms can live together (usually when one benefits from proximity to the other.)

  • Transcendent:
[adj] // to go beyond the normal range of something.

  • Ubiquitous:
[adj] // when something is ever-present or can be found everywhere.

  • Vacuous:
[adj] // mindless, showing a lack of thought or intelligence.

  • Wane:
[verb] // to become weaker or to lessen in extent.

  • Xenophobic:
[adj] // to be fearful of foreigners or outsiders.

  • Yonder:
[noun/adv] // the far distance/being far away.

  • Zinciferous: 
[adj] // yielding or containing zinc. Yes. This is actually a word.


I hope that was at least vaguely interesting for you; now you know some of my favourite words and you are free to join me in my extreme pretentiousness.

See you next time!

Georgia

No comments:

Post a Comment