FOR FRESHERS: STUFF TO BRING TO UNI.

Monday 5 September 2016

I'm a few weeks away from starting my fourth year as a university student. I went off to uni fresh-faced, just-turned-eighteen, and fairly clueless. I am now twenty-one, and like, really wise. As a seasoned student I figured I'd give you freshers a list of things to buy for uni. I know it can get pretty overwhelming moving away from home for the first time and having to think about all of the things you might possibly need to do/bring/sort, so in order to try and help out, I've created a list of stuff you might need to bring with you/buy. A lot of it is fairly common sense, but some of the things you may not have thought of yourself, so let's HIT IT.


Note: the "kitchenware" section applies to those who are staying in self-catered accommodation but I'm sure the rest of the information can be used for catered accommodation too.

TOILETRIES/CLEANING PRODUCTS ETC.:
  • Toilet gear - toilet roll and soap - if you've got an ensuite bathroom the likelihood is you'll have to buy your own toilet roll and soap, so bear that in mind. If you're non-ensuite (like I was) toilet roll and soap was provided in the communal bathrooms, but I had a sink in my room so I liked having my own soap to use as well. Also it meant I got to buy strawberry laces-scented soap which pleased me so much more than it should've pleased an eighteen-year-old.
  • Toiletries - toothpaste, hairbrush, sanitary products, razor, shower gel/soap, shampoo & conditioner, deodorant...I'm sure you get the idea. Toiletries are deceptively expensive if you're not used to buying all of them yourself (and they don't ever last as long as you'd hope) so if your parents can buy them for you before you get there that'd save you some £££.
  • Medical kit - plasters, painkillers, any specific medication you take (for me I get really bad indigestion so even though I don't get it regularly enough to be on prescription, I brought some tablets to help with that when it does happen), Lemsip if that's something you use when you're ill (in my personal opinion I'd rather drink urine, but each to their own), throat lozenges (you're going to get ill in your first year - it just always happens, so you may as well prepare), plus tweezers and nail scissors.
  • Laundry products - at my uni, all of the washing machines had the drawers nailed shut (why? I do not know) which meant that for me my best option was to buy the little pods of detergent and softener rather than powder. Capsules are unfortunately more expensive than powder but if you can convince a kind soul to buy you a massive pack at the beginning that'd be very helpful. (@ Mum and Dad please help.) 
  • Washing up stuff - washing up liquid and sponges/cloths - everyone in your kitchen will probably be using this, but in theory over the course of the year each person will buy a bottle and/or a few sponges, so it should work out. If there's already a bottle when you arrive then just keep yours in your room. When the original bottle runs out there will inevitably be a three-day period where people ignore that it's empty, so you might as well be ready for it.
  • Antibacterial wipes - I use these wipes for pretty much everything; they're super handy.
STATIONERY:
  • Notebooks/lined paper - if you intend to make notes by hand in lectures then you're gonna need some paper! This sounds so patronising I'm sorry, I know you know how to use paper.
  • Pens - personally I like to have about 237432 pens with me at all times, so if you are a pen fiend like I am then make sure you bring your favourite pens/buy some snazzy new ones.
  • Scissors - you may think you won't need scissors but that is not true. Everyone needs scissors at some point.
  • A memory stick - you're going to want to save all your work in various places, and a USB is one of them. Do not experience the tragedy of losing a piece of work you've spent time on.
  • Blu-Tack or drawing pins - most people stick photos or other mementoes onto their walls or noticeboard, so these things are good to have!
KITCHENWARE:
(For the record I own more kitchenware than most people my age, but I like my utensils, okay? I'm going to try to narrow it down for you.)
  • Crockery - bowlsplates, glasses, mugs - in theory you could get away with one of each, but most starter packs (I know IKEA does one, for example) seem to have at least two bowls and two small and large plates. I'd suggest you buy a four-pack of glasses and leave one or two of them in your room, because there is no doubt that if you leave them in the kitchen, somehow they will all get lost during the year, no matter how careful you are with your stuff. Also, having my favourite mugs with me in first year was a nice comfort, so if you have a lot of hot drinks this is something to think about!
  • Cutlery - knives, forks, tablespoons and teaspoons.
  • A sharp knife or two - one large and one small if possible. After having lived with cheap, dull knives for the entirety of my first year, I'd say it's worth buying a knife that, y'know, actually works. I could've avoided many finger slices if I'd just paid for a slightly more expensive knife right at the beginning.
  • Pans - at least one frying pan and one medium/large saucepan - most supermarkets seem to be selling sets of pans in groups of three anyway.
  • Small utensils - bottle opener (there's a significant likelihood you'll be opening many bottles this year), cheese grater, vegetable peeler and can opener. Whatever you do, do not buy the 50p can openers from Tesco. They seem like a good idea because they are so cheap but they are painful and stop working after like seven uses and then WHAT IS THE POINT?!
  • Spoony-kinda utensils - wooden spoon, large plastic/metal spoon and spatula. It all depends what kind of cooking you're going to be doing - if any - but I'd say these three are the minimum I could get away with having.
  • A chopping board or two - plastic, wooden, whatever floats your boat.
  • A deep baking tray - I don't know what kind of cooking you intend to do but deep baking trays are super handy; you can shove a tonne of vegetables in there and roast them, you can use it for lasagne, pasta bake, brownies; pretty much anything that requires an oven.
  • Tupperware - whether it's because you want to pack a lunch to take to uni or store away some leftovers, these lil' plastic boxes are great. I have one giant pot and a few smaller ones and I find that works for me.
  • Foil containers - these dudes are useful for when you've got some leftovers (please do not put them in the microwave) (I feel like I can't type this without issuing some kind of warning), or as a last-minute substitute when you're about to make brownies and realise your deep baking tray is dirty. It happens.
  • Sandwich bags - I mean, I don't eat that many sandwiches so I don't even know what I use these for but I always end up going through them so that's why they're on the list. 
  • Cling film and/or tin foil - wrap up vegetables and other things you only use half of, use the foil to line your baking tray to avoid having to wash it up later, the possibilities truly are endless. Cooking is wild!
  • Tea towels - unless you are blessed by all the gods and have a dishwasher (I've literally never met any student at a UK university with a dishwasher) you're gonna need to wash and dry your dishes by hand. Keep some in your room so they don't get all gross when everyone else uses them!
BEDROOM STUFF/MISCELLANEOUS:
  • Bedding - before you start, check on your university accommodation website to see if they mention what is available in the rooms in terms of bedding. If there's no bedding, make sure you get yourself a duvet and pillow(s)duvet coverpillowcase(s) and sheet - I know Asda and Tesco do some mega cheap sets. It's worth it to buy two sets, because there is absolutely nothing worse than bedding not being dry in time for bed after you've washed it. Another good idea is a blanket or throw for some extra warmth in the winter. 
  • Towels - again, they may provide towels, but it's always nice to have a few spare.
  • A door wedge - in the first week it's a good idea to keep your door open when you can - it makes you seem more approachable and if anyone walks past you can say hi, or they can come in and introduce themselves. Also, if you play some bangin' tunez (e.g.: One Direction's Stole My Heart) really loud I'm sure someone would come to your door and talk to you about it. Oh, and top tip: don't open your bedroom door on your toe and break the nail and/or the bone. Top tip #2: if you do open it, please learn from your mistakes and do not continue to do exactly the same thing five times over the course of the year.
  • A holdall or weekend bag - pretty self-explanatory but you might find yourself going somewhere (whether that's back home or elsewhere) for a few days and it's good to have a bag of your own instead of borrowing it from your flatmate, which is what I always had to do.
  • Clothes airer - this isn't a necessity but it's something I've got a lot of use out of in my three years away from home. It's pretty expensive to do your laundry in halls (from what I remember, I had to pay £2.50 for a wash and maybe £1.50 to dry), so I saved a lil' bit of money by using a clothes airer to dry my washing. It was kind of annoying to hang everything up but at least it made my room smell nice.
  • A laundry hamper - you might be a dirty-clothes-in-a-pile-on-the-chair kinda person but I love shoving it somewhere I can't see it, i.e.: a hamper/laundry bag/basket. 
  • Extension lead - sometimes room layouts are a bit weird and your cables don't quite stretch far enough to where you want them to go, so extension leads are the solution. 
  • Check what's in the room already but you may need to buy a small bin and a lamp.
  • Things to decorate your room with - the rooms in university residences are incredibly bland, so in order to make it feel like less of a prison cell (unless that's what you're into) and more like a home, you should bring along some photos, posters, books, DVDs, art, etc.
Don't worry if you've not bought/brought all of this stuff, most people tend to survive on the bare minimum in first year, but I figured it could be useful to make a list for you from my own experience. I didn't include clothes or makeup or anything like that because that's all down to personal preference, but y'know...obviously remember pyjamas and stuff like that.

If you're interested, I can also make a post about what I call the First Big Grocery Shop, which is when you go to your nearest superstore the day you move in and get your parents to buy you all the things you probably won't be able to buy when you're broke. Car space + £££ = very useful. Good luck with moving in!

See you next time!

Georgia

No comments:

Post a Comment