QUICK APPLE CRUMBLE.

Thursday 7 May 2015

One of my all-time favourite desserts is apple crumble, and a couple of months ago I took sudden inspiration to make it in the microwave because I knew I couldn't be bothered to wait for it to cook in the oven. In true Giordizzle fashion I scrambled together a makeshift recipe and checked a few things online to make sure it wouldn't go totally wrong, and it worked out alright! There were a couple of things I wanted to tweak so since then I've had to make it again a few more times (poor me, how tragic) so that I could have a definitive recipe for you to follow. You're welcome.


Crumble ingredients:
- 1 tbsp butter or margarine (I use a kind of butter spread - FYI it's important that the butter is cold if you want to get the crumbly texture)
- 2 tbsp porridge oats
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp ground almonds (this isn't vital but I think it improves the dish)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp spice(s) (e.g.: cinnamon, nutmeg, ground ginger)
- pinch of salt

Apple filling:
- 1x apple
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp butter
- 1-2 tbsp brown sugar (you can alter this if you think the apples will be too sweet/sour)
- more spices if you want!!!


Method:
1. Cut the apple into thin slices, putting them into a bowl or large mug.
2. Coat with the sugar, lemon juice and butter, then pop into the microwave for one minute so that the apple can soften.
3. In another bowl, combine the dry crumble ingredients with a spoon.
4. Put the butter in and combine everything with your fingertips so that they form little nuggets of oaty goodness. (My grandmother used to say that her mother used to tell her that if you get the mixture anywhere else than on your fingertips, you're doing it wrong.) Make sure there are no clumps of butter left over.
5. By this point, the apple filling should be done - at this stage I tend to take away a few spoonfuls of the liquid at the bottom as I don't want it all to soak into the crumble and make it soggy.
6. Cover the apple mixture with the crumble topping and put it in the microwave for about one and a half to two minutes. I have a MONSTER microwave so I find it's done quite quickly, but I advise you to just keep checking until the crumble gets to the consistency/texture you want. I like my crumble to be quite dry but you may prefer it to soak up some more of the apple juices.
7. Take it out and revel in the beauty!
8. Oh and please, for the love of God don't eat it as soon as you take it out of the microwave. Learn from my mistakes - it's HOT. If you just wait a little while it'll be worth it, and it won't burn your tongue and/or oesophagus. Bonus!

If you want to be fancy/healthier I'm offering some alternative ingredients that you can use:
- white flour / wholewheat / gluten-free
- brown sugar / honey (the texture of the crumble will be different though!)
- butter / coconut oil

Let me know if you try this and how it works out.

See you next time!

Georgia

No comments:

Post a Comment