AMERICAN CANDY REVIEW.

Saturday 4 April 2015

I haven't done any music reviews on this blog so far but I'm hoping to change that with a review of The Maine's American Candy, released on 31st March 2015. I only really started listening to them in the past two years or so but I'm really glad I did. For those unfamiliar with their music, The Maine is a rock band hailing from Arizona, USA. They've stayed constant in their lineup since they began in 2007, and have been signed to various labels, though this album was released independently. American Candy is comprised of ten songs, all variants on the pop-rock genre (I'm always slightly reluctant to use the term 'pop-rock' but that's exactly what this is; a softer, more accessible variety of rock with definite hints towards their pop punk past). The track list is unusually short for a full-length album, but it packs a lot into its 35-minute runtime.


1. Miles Away - to ease your way into the album, Miles Away offers an energised, upbeat song for you dance along to, and introduces the general feel of the rest of the album.

2. Same Suit, Different Tie - I feel that the album as a whole can be perfectly embodied by a single line from this song: "the old can feel brand new, I feel so fresh, I feel so new (and improved)".

3. My Hair - on one hand this song really is just John O'Callaghan telling people that he doesn't give a fri*k what people think about his hair, and that even if someone big and important tells him to change those locks, he'll do whatever he dang well pleases with them. On the other hand, if you dig a little deeper you'll realise that hair works as a synecdoche for yourself, and that the real message here is an appeal to listeners to be themselves, not change for anyone, and to basically, 'just do you'.

4. English Girls - a perfect first single; really upbeat and snappy, and one of the catchiest ones on the list. It's cheeky and witty without being sleazy or try-hard, and exudes effortless cool.

5. 24 Floors - the song most reminiscent of Forever Halloween in my opinion; a slow, haunting and moving ballad which doesn't bow to the melancholy it speaks of, but instead appeals to holding onto hope even in the darkest of times. It's certainly the most heart-breaking song on the album but because of its focus on hope and getting better, it doesn't feel out of place between the upbeat tracks either side of it.

6. Diet Soda Society - I really love this one, especially how it starts off with the acoustic guitar but steadily gets more and more upbeat throughout the duration of the song. The chorus is mega catchy and I know it’s been stuck in my head since I first heard it. It also has one of my favourite, most candid hooks I've heard in a long time.

7. Am I Pretty? - I love a lot about this song; the guitar riff, the instrumentation in general, the semi-chanting bridge towards the end. This track is about the feelings of insecurity many people are all too familiar with, but put across in a feel-good way.

8. (Un)Lost - for no particular reason, I've personally found this to be the least memorable track from the album (melodically, at least), but I can tell from the few times I've listened that its lyrics are way up there with some of the best. Edit, a few months later: it's now one of my favourites. I eschew Past Georgia.

9. American Candy - the album's title track; this song is super upbeat and makes me want to get up and dance. The use of a candy-themed lexical field is a really cool touch, and showcases some of The Maine's lyrical genius.

10. Another Night on Mars - this song serves as the finale of the album. It begins with a piano intro and overall it has a really nice end-credits vibe to it. Another Night on Mars is a mid-tempo ode to days gone by and days to come, and it says "thank you and see you soon".

Favourite song(s): Diet Soda Society / English Girls
Favourite lyric(s): "There's beauty and grace in the flaws of your face." (Am I Pretty?) //
"To be honest, I'm full of shit, but that's alright because everyone else that I know is." (Diet Soda Society)
Overall rating: 9/10

On another note, can I give a shoutout to the album artwork? I really love the colours and the design of it. GOOD WORK.

I've found that, even though their sound seems to progress with each release, there is always a distinct 'The Maine' sound to every one. There is a definite sense of cohesiveness from one song to another and from one album to the next. Prior albums were significantly more angsty (for example, its predecessor Forever Halloween seems much darker), so American Candy's more positive vibes are a nice change. I find the album really easy to listen to, and John O'Callaghan's distinctly recognisable vocals maintain this super chilled tone throughout. The Maine consistently provides their audiences with candid and emotional stories, but they succeed in staying positive, even when the subject matter is sometimes the complete opposite. I can imagine listening to the album during those chilled out afternoons hanging with a bunch of friends, blasting it in the car during a road trip (that is, if I had a road trip planned...or a car...) or dancing alone in my room to it, too distracted by those h3lla tun3s I'm playing to care about that work I was meant to do. Overall, I can't find one bad song on the album. It's a really feel-good listen and makes me excited to see what they create next.

I think my favourite thing about this album and The Maine in general is that they are definitely their own band and do not attempt to sound like anyone else. Their sound is always familiar, but not to the point where it's boring and predictable - they make sure to evolve on their own terms. American Candy is very much different to Forever Halloween in tonebut make no mistake, it is still most unmistakably and definitively The Maine.

See you next time!

Georgia

No comments:

Post a Comment