5 MINUTE CARROT CAKE.

Friday 6 March 2015

I love baked goods, and I love minimal washing up, so when I discovered that mug cakes were a thing a few years ago, it opened the door to a world of opportunity.

The other day my housemate made cinnamon rolls and there was some cream cheese icing left in the fridge just asking to be eaten. I decided to try a mug carrot cake as I was pretty sure I had all the ingredients I would need. I looked at a few recipes and adapted them to my personal taste. I've tried out variations of a recipe a few times just so I could get the most perfect result to show you guys. I know, I know, sometimes it just has to be done - someone's gotta take one for the team. My final recipe is SO TASTY and I'm super pleased with it, so if you're a cake-lover like me, please try it out and let me know how it goes!


Ingredients: (these are often interchangeable so don't worry if you don't have a specific variety)
- 4 tbsp flour (I used white flour but you can use whole wheat too)
- 3 tbsp light brown sugar (I've also tried it with caster and icing sugar and they tasted fine too)
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (I love cinnamon so this might be a bit much for you guys - just add half the amount if you're not a huge fan)
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- pinch of salt (we ran out so I haven't been using it in mine but I would recommend putting this in as it brings out the flavours)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp grated carrot (probably works out at about half a carrot)
- 1 tbsp oil (I used rapeseed oil but vegetable or sunflower would also work)

Optional extras:
- 1-2 tbsp chopped nuts (e.g. walnuts or cashews)
- 1-2 tbsp raisins/sultanas

Tip: weigh out your ingredients as you go along, starting with the dry ingredients and moving onto using the spoon for the wet ingredients so you have less washing up to do. LOGIC. 8)


Method: 
1. Combine all the dry ingredients in a mug and mix with a fork.
2. Add the carrot, milk, oil and vanilla extract and mix, making sure it's all combined into a smooth batter and that there's no unmixed flour at the bottom or around the sides.
3. Put the mug into the microwave for about 1 minute 20 seconds. Lick your fork clean (I told you, minimal washing up) and gently stab the middle of the cake with it. If it comes out clean, it's cooked. If not, put it in for another 15/20 seconds or so. Repeat if you're still unsure. (It'll be fine to eat uncooked anyway as there's no egg, but for the benefit of having a perfect-looking mini cake, you can put it in for more time if you want.)

That's all there is to it. I wish I had a more exciting method but nope, there it is; very easy to follow. Oh, and of course, wait for it to have cooled down a bit before you start devouring it (maybe put all your ingredients away in the meantime), but then ENJOY.

Here's a recipe for a simple one-serving cream cheese icing that I found here if you're interested - I haven't tried it yet but it seems a pretty foolproof method to me:
- 1 1/2 tbsp cream cheese, softened in the microwave for a few seconds
- 4 tbsp icing sugar
...mix them together...if you hadn't guessed that was the method.

I also love lemon icing with carrot cake so if you want to try that instead I'd recommend:
- start with about 4tbsp of icing sugar and add about a teaspoon of lemon juice at a time to get the consistency you want. Super simple!

I really hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do, and if you try it, please send me a picture, I'd love to see.

See you next time!

Georgia

No comments:

Post a Comment